Friday

kitchen cabinet progress..half way there!

I have been painting like crazy! Once you start something as overwhelming as painting your kitchen cabinets, you just want to get everything back to normal. I have felt like quitting, but I'm now seeing the progress and how much I LOVE the color that I "mixed" together and I am getting really excited. I was a little hesitant about mixing paint for such a big job, but I wanted to have just a very light, somewhat warm gray. My walls are Benjamin Moore's Revere Pewter and the color I mixed is almost a perfect match, which was the look I was going for. You may be thinking why didn't I just use the revere pewter on my cabinets? (I will explain below)  I came across this picture that gave me a little inspiration for my kitchen. In this kitchen, all the walls and cabinets are painted in Revere Pewter with a contrasting island, similar to what I am doing.

Southern Living

Southern Living
Now for the reason why I choose to use the chalk paint, mostly because thought of sanding, priming, then most likely, 3 coats of oil paint did not appeal to me at all! I have done it before and it holds up well but it's very laborious, and this way I am able to lightly distress the cabinets and get the look and finish I want. So I did a little experimenting with ASCP and came up with this below.


Paris Gray is on the left and Old Ochre is on the right (I had first tried Old White, which is the base color you see but it just wasn't what I really wanted) the color at the top is the two mixed together which gives you a color almost the exact shade of revere pewter, I couldn't have been more excited and as I said, I love it!!


I will hopefully get finished by next week. I still have to finish the backs of the cabinets and give everything a second coat, then distress them just a bit and then wax- a little overwhelmed!! I will post the final pictures when it is all put back together, then show you the tiles and lights that will finish everything off, I can't wait.

Here's a small sneak peek at one section that is almost done- I love how it matches my chevron rug and blends so well with the granite! If you want to see the post I did on the redesign of our kitchen at our last house, you can see it here.


I have this post linked to a few linky parties, you can check them out here, French Country Cottage, Miss Mustard Seed and The Shabby Nest

1 comment:

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Looks so pretty! Found you via Shabby Nest :)

Website

I finally got my website up and running, really don't know why it took me so long! You can check it out here  Thanks for checking ...