Thursday

shower curtains turned custom panels

Apartment Therapy
I had been trying to find some fabric for my daughters windows in her room to coordinate with some existing fabric. She has somewhat of a bird theme in her room, (click here to see her room at our old house.) I had come across this bird fabric before from Thomas Paul, called Aviary, I love this fabric and was thinking about getting it and had the windows all measured out.

Thomas Paul fabric
But I had happened to be out getting something at T.J. Max the other month and out of the corner of my eye I spotted these shower curtains made out of the same fabric- well I did a little quick calculation in my head knowing how much the fabric cost per yard. I knew that I needed 9 yards and lining for 2 panels- so we are well over $200 bucks. Of course it was a no brainer, I purchased my two shower curtains at $14 a piece- so $28, plus about $30 for lining was a great deal. With the money I had saved I also bought some pom pom fringe and jumbo rick-rack. But, of course for those of you who follow my blog know that I do not sew but very fortunately I have a mother who can.






She did a great job. I love how the trellis fabric, that I had left over, was used to match with the fabric in her chair, the jumbo rick-rack and fringe really give the panels a very custom look. The shower curtain fabric has  a little different feel then the fabric by the yard, but it looks exactly the same, and I'm really not bothered by it. I do have to get a better rod to hang the panels, so they are a little long at the moment and that is why I am not showing the whole window. But when I get her room all put together I will post better pictures.


I was very happy when there was enough fabric left over to make two pillow shams, which was nice surprise.



Custom curtains can be very expensive when you add everything up, especially when you tack on the labor, (I am very lucky when it comes labor-big savings there). So, if you are able to find some fabric to use that can cut back on costs, it can really make a difference. Shower curtains and sheets are a budget friendly way to be able to get a custom look without spending a fortune. There are so many fabrics out there that fits with every type of budget. Overall, I am so happy with how the panels came out and love the money I saved.

I am linked up over at Jennifer Rizzo, and French Country Cottage

No comments:

Website

I finally got my website up and running, really don't know why it took me so long! You can check it out here  Thanks for checking ...